Monday 15 October 2012

ships and sealing wax....and a sneaky cellar door visit



I have a piece in the Yering station Sculpture prize which is part of the Yarra Valley arts programme. I have just returned from setting it up & of course I had to stop by the I  cellar door wine and produce store.....  Also I am really rather partial to the Yarra Valley Farmers' Market Held on the third Sunday of each month 

Future Market Dates
October 21st, 2012
November 18th, 2012
Open 9.00am - 2.00pm
the website http://www.yering.com is great and even has a handy driving instructions
"ships and sealing wax. of cabbages and kings" by Sai-Wai Foo

The sculpture is a balsa wood sailing ship with sandal wood cut-work sitting upon a pleated paper cabbage. All contained in a glass dome. Based one of my favourite Lewis Carroll poem. I have always been a bit partial to "the Walrus & the Carpenter" full text here. 

"ships and sealing wax. of cabbages and kings" is the resulting piece born out of a moment of panic! I have to admit this was one of those pieces that didn't come together until the last minute...again the pressure of the deadline really helped. I didn't have a clear idea of what I was doing or where it was going until the 11th hour.
I've linked the Disney clip of the poem from Alice in Wonderland & also the Kevin Smith "dogma" take on the poem's subtext. Enjoy!
 
the Disney version 

 
Matt Damon as Loki in Dogma (1999) written by Kevin Smith

Love Miss Foo XXX

 Work is on show at Yering Station from October 28 to 2 December 2012 
see below for invite or website for more details http://www.yering.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment